Professional Bio For Keith M. Olivia
Keith M. Olivia was an attorney in the Boulder and Denver offices of large National and International law firms for 12 years before joining Roberts & Olivia, LLC in October 2009. His practice focuses on representing clients in their business transactions, including in a variety of corporate, securities, tax and other matters.
Keith regularly counsels clients regarding choice of entity and other formation issues; private placements of debt and equity securities; compensation planning and other employment matters; commercial contracts; intellectual property matters; and mergers and other acquisition transactions. Keith also represents venture capital firms and angel investors in their investments. He has represented clients in various industries, including biotech, software, manufacturing, medical device, other high tech, natural foods, consumer products, telecommunications and natural resources.
Prior to moving to Colorado, Keith was an associate with a large law firm in Las Vegas, Nevada. Before entering law school, he worked in the audit department of a bank holding company in Pennsylvania.
Keith has served as counsel to issuers and investors in financing transactions, and buyers and sellers in merger and other types of acquisition transactions. His experience includes the following types of matters:
- Tax structuring for entity formation, equity compensation, business combination, and other matters
- Drafting limited liability company agreements, partnership agreements and shareholder agreements
- Public offerings, private placements, venture capital financings, and other debt and equity financings
- General business representation of both public and private companies in contract, employment, intellectual property and other business matters
- Sales and acquisitions of public and private target companies and assets by both public and private companies through mergers, stock acquisitions, and assets acquisitions
Hogan & Hartson LLP, Boulder and Denver, CO 1999 - 2009
Holme Roberts & Owen LLP, Boulder, CO 1997 - 1999
Lionel Sawyer & Collins, Las Vegas, Nevada, 1995 - 1996
MEMBERSHIPS AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- University of Colorado School of Law, Adjunct Faculty, 2013-2014
- Entrepreneurial Law Clinic at the University of Colorado School of Law, Supervising Attorney and Guest Lecturer, 2000 - Present
- Boulder County Bar Association, CBA Board of Governors, 2013-2014; Board of Directors, 2010-2013; Co-Chariman of Business Law Section, 2008-2010
- Entrepreneurs Foundation of Colorado, Board of Advisors and Secretary, 2011-Present
- "Choice of Legal Entity," Entrepreneurial Law Clinic at the University of Colorado School of Law, Fall 2009 and Fall 2010
- "Drafting LLC Operating Agreements," Entrepreneurial Law Clinic at the University of Colorado School of Law, Fall 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- "Unintended Consequences: A review of potentially problematic provisions of the Colorado Limited Liability Company Act," Boulder County Bar Association CLE, Fall 2008
- "Two and Twenty - Discussion of Carried Interests," Venture Capital and Private Equity Class at the University of Colorado School of Law, Spring 2008